Historical-Highlights

Camrose Ski Club Celebrating 100 Years

Founded in 1911 by Scandinavian settlers with the name of Fram Ski Club, Camrose Ski Club is one of the oldest in Canada. In the early days, jumping was the event that drew the crowds as Stoney Creek Valley filled with up to 3,000 people coming to see the "daring Norwegian flyers."
Based on nordic specialties: cross country skiing, jumping, nordic combined, luge and biathlon, the Camrose Ski Club has produced high-level athletes including Olympians Justine Nordmo and Kari Engstad (Lake Placid, 1932), Clarence and Irvin Servold (Cortina, 1956, and Squaw Valley, 1960), Carol Gison (Canmore, 1988) and Glen Rupertus (Canmore, 1988, Albertville, 1990, and Lillehammer, 1994).

Today a large number of competitive athletes as well as recreational skiers of all ages enjoy the winter wonderland of the beautiful Camrose ski trails.

Camrose Ski Club's trail system has been progressively expanded and improved over the years thanks to contributions from local volunteers, the City of Camrose, the Government of Alberta, the Government of Canada and the Camrose Rotary Club. 

 

The Roots of Curling in Camrose

Shortly after the turn of the century, on November 27, 1911, the first meeting to organize a curling club in Camrose was held in the Canadian Club. A dozen officers were elected: Patron Frank Pike; Honorary President G.P. Smith, President R.L. Rushton, Vice-President G.E. Measom, Secretary Treasurer S.J. Boyd, Chaplain Rev. K.C. McLeod and Executive Committee – F.L. Farley, W.J. McKay, D.D. McLaren, W.G. Duggan and P.H. Forham.

P.L. Scramstad had built a covered skating rink next to the old bridge over Stoney Creek. An agreement was made with him to create two sheets of curling ice, one down either side of a central sheet of ice used for skating. The club rented this ice for $300 per curling season. And so began the game of curling in Camrose. Sixty-seven curlers enjoyed this first ice, paying an annual fee of $10 each. The club purchased two pairs of rocks, but it was the general custom at the time for each curler to have his own rocks, which he took along for out of town curling events. 

By 1914, the club had grown to 84 members and rented the whole rink to hold an open bonspiel in January. Today's club still has the original program pictured above. 

A heavy snowfall on Valentine's Day, 1914 caused the sudden collapse of the rink roof. Luckily it happened an hour prior to a scheduled hockey game, when the building would have been full of people. With no curling facility, club members met to determine their fate.

After considerable investigation, a joint stock company was formed and incorporated – Camrose Curlers Ltd. Shares were sold for $10 each and the company built a three-sheet rink on the northwest corner of Prospect Avenue and Niblock Street (now 49th Avenue and 46th Street). Ready for use by fall, the building was rented to the curling club for $325 per season. Ladies were given the use of one sheet for the morning and one for the afternoon for a fee of $5.

A common discussion in the club minutes year after year during this time, was the need for more ice. In 1929, the stock company offered to sell the rink to the curling club for $2500. The estimate to build a new rink was $6000, or $3000 to enlarge the old. However, it was determined that there was no way the old rink could be enlarged. After renting the rink for nearly 20 years at a steadily declining fee, a crisis developed and the stock company sold the rink to the Bawlf community. 


1936 brought the construction of a new five-sheet rink, considered one of the best in central Alberta, on the corner of 47th Street and 50th Avenue. The cost of $6000 was financed by the individual subscriptions of members and a loan. Curlers celebrated their first time on the ice Christmas day.

In 1942, with the rink clear of debt, disaster struck in the form of fire. It took firefighters an hour to get the blaze under control resulting in heavy loss, including 70 pairs of rocks stored along the south wall where the fire broke out. Left standing was the front part of the building containing the kitchen, waiting room and a badly charred portion of the main section. Undeterred by the loss, the club was able to construct a three-sheet rink, with the help of insurance and volunteers, in time for the 1942-43 curling season. A fourth sheet was added in 1944, a fifth in 1945 and a sixth after that.

1954 brought the first artificial ice to the Camrose curling rink. In 1958 a pictorial booklet of Camrose was published, including a photograph of the rink. The caption included, "Popular recreation centre for adults during the winter months – particularly for the 325 active local curlers – is the Camrose Curling Rink which is equipped with six sheets of ice, a large spectator room with lunch counter, and five club rooms in the basement…" 

Unfortunately, problems that developed with the rink lead to its closure in 1965.
For two years avid curlers drove to New Norway, Hay Lakes and Bawlf to carry on with the "roarin' game".

Then CADRECA, a new recreational complex was built in 1967 on the fairgrounds, including a large curling rink with room for nine sheets of ice. A new curling club emerged and was incorporated as the Rose City Curling Club. When the new facility first opened there were 6 sheets of ice for curling. The remaining 3 sheets were used as a figure skating practise area. In this new facility, curlers played with matching rocks and enjoyed two viewing areas and a large club room. Once all nine sheets were used for curling, the facility was one of the largest facilities in the Northern Alberta Curling Association.

Today, after a century of curling, the Rose City Curling Club is alive and well with a full slate of curling. There is curling five nights a week, used by school children and seniors during the day and an active junior program. Camrose curlers will continue to be a part of the sport, as it evolves and continues to grow for the next 100 years.

 



1915 Highlights:

  • Wheat hits highest price in Town's history in January 1915, the Camrose elevators paying $1.05 for No. 2 Northern wheat. Farmers were not selling, believing that wheat would climb to $1.25.

  • Camrose is asked to supply twenty men for the war, a phone call to the Town Office coming from Captain Daniels, C Company, 6th Battalion, Edmonton.

  • Dr. W.V. Lamb continued as our Medical Health Officer for a salary of $100/annum.

  • The Camrose Constituency Relief Fund, later renamed as the Canadian Patriotic Fund, to date in early January had collected $2,501.80. The amount that the Camrose area would raise would be $200,000. According to the Bank of Canada inflation converter, that would come to $4,301,694 in 2015 dollars.

  • An example of how funds were raised:
    Nearly $50 was raised at a euchre party hosted by the Ladies Patriotic League at the Canadian Club. Prizes were presented by Geo. P. Smith, a cream & sugar set, a silk work bag for the ladies and a box of cigars and pipe for the gentleman. The gentleman's prices were won and donated back for auction to raise more money.

  • In January, the Normal School had 128 students, 7 from Camrose; Mr. MacNally was principal.

  • Europe battles made front page news.

  • It was reported in January, ‘Elaborate preparations have been completed to guard Paris against possible raids by Germany's Zeppelin fleet'.

  • Hockey and curling continued to be of major interest to the 1915 community, front page news.

  • Curling club membership climbed to 76, increasing rinks to 19.

  • L.R. Jackson was elected as president of the Canadian Club.

  • Debating subjects: "Resolved that Consolidated Rural Schools are Preferable to Small Rural Schools" and "Resolved that Canada should Adopt the Australian Military Service".

  • A business tax was imposed by Town Council, 5% of rental value.

  • The licence fee for restaurants and laundries was raised from $5 to $50.

  • C.G. Corneille was appointed justice of the peace for a salary of $250/year.

  • With 1914 electrical plant surplus of $3,563.78, Town Council reduced the cost to consumers twice during the year. The waterworks operation saw a profit of $291.80, and it was noted that this utility was usually a losing venture.

  • A drunk a disorderly conviction carried a sentence of 3 months hard labor.

  • The David Theatre changed to the Mutual Film Corporation. One new film brought in was called "From the Manger to the Cross".

  • Mr. M.A. Maxwell considers new employment that would eventually take him away from Camrose. Recognized as one of the Founders Days Founders in 1911 when employed by the Town of Camrose as Engineer. His role in the successful development of both the Electric Plant and Waterworks installation allowed Camrose to emerge as a flourishing municipality.

  • Phone numbers still had 2-3 digits.



  • Made in Canada Ford Runabout retails for $540 and a 5 passenger Sedan, $1150, both included headlights! Mr. Drysdale, the Studebaker Agent, was selling a 5 passenger Six for $1,750, ads claiming they were two years ahead of anyone else's and a guaranteed smooth ride.

  • At a very large ski tournament hosted in Camrose, late February 1915, an Edmonton skier took first prize, A. Maland of Camrose came in 2nd and a Revelstoke skier took 3rd. It was reported to be the most successful tournament in the Fram Ski Club's history.

  • A new fire alarm system was approved by Town Council, one to be installed at the fire hall, guaranteed to wake sleeping fireman. And the second to be installed just outside the town clerk's office where it will be heard a block away.

  • The Scandinavian Prohibition League began campaigning for a dry Alberta.

  • Mr. Chas. Duggan filled train cars with over 500 hogs, sending to Montreal in hopes that they would fetch a better price than at Calgary and Edmonton packers. Hogs from other farmers brought the total to 1000.

  • Found within the Social and Personal column, James Pike sold his Ford car to V.E. Forster.

  • 1914 Highlights:

    Tidbits from 1914 Camrose

    A booklet "CAMROSE AFTER SEVEN YEARS" was released by the Camrose Board of Trade. This 32 page pamphlet was sold locally for 20 cents each and distributed throughout the province. Many 'bouquets' came in form of newspaper articles which "the Town that was Born Lucky" was praised. "Too rosy a picture could not be painted" wrote the Edmonton Journal, going onto say, "It has nothing in common with the general run of western towns, all of which look alike to the visitor. The citizens have, from the first, taken a genuine pride in the community with results which this little publication makes plain."

    Camrose was served by the 3 Great Canadian Transcontinental Railway Lines - making it easy to get from anywhere in Alberta to Camrose and from Camrose to anywhere in Alberta. This extraordinary railway situation gave Camrose a real advantage in attracting businesses and warehouses.

    In 1914 some of the warehouses and distribution companies included Camrose Grocery Co., Alexander Grocery Co., the International Harvester Co., the Calgary Brewing Co., Francoeur Bros. (wholesale manufacturing agents), Globe Lumber Co., Tesse T. Persse, Nicholson & Bain, Vernon Fruit Co., and the Imperial Oil Plant.

    Area coal companies were mining 1000 tons of coal per day during the winter months, employing 300 men, with a payroll of $6,000 / week. Coal was considered a valuable commodity - even taken as trade for a phonograph by R. Drysdale, a Camrose retailer.

    In 1914 Camrose was under a single tax system. Land was taxed. There was no tax on buildings or improvements and the taxation income was not supplemented in any way by business tax, floor tax, licenses, or any other charges. The assessment for 1914 showed an increase of $180,000 taxation income over 1913.

    Camrose owned the water and sewer system, light and power plant, public market, exhibition grounds and buildings, municipal hospital, gravel pit and property set aside for industrial development. All these investments were largely revenue producing. Camrose boasted cement walks, cluster street lights, graded streets, streets with boulevards, playgrounds and fire fighting facilities along with the usual municipal buildings. Camrose was considered by many as the best town in Alberta and a model municipality.

    Power and water were available to residents at low costs because coal was so readily available. Camrose was able to maintain their power plant at "a high state of efficiency" and was able to pass the savings onto residents. After an audit, it was determined that the electric light department showed its "revenue to be satisfactory and that a reduction in rates would be made".

    A proposed Government of Alberta telephone exchange that would handle ¼ of the province's provincial system promised permanent jobs and further attracted families to Camrose. In total 904 telephone subscribers were in the Camrose district. The area had 734 miles of telephone pole lines with 1109 miles of wire circuit; a record for Canada at that time.

    In 1914 the Camrose Board of Trade sold lots at a figure of $12 - $15 per foot frontage while farmland was worth $15 per acre. 80,000 acres were under cultivation in the Camrose district; cattle numbered 14,000; hogs 30,000; horses 8,000; poultry 100,000. The value of this livestock - $2,415,000. In one day 16 carloads of hogs were shipped over the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway line to packing houses in Edmonton, earning area farmers $16,000.

    Educational facilities in Camrose were among the best in Alberta, attracting teachers and students from across Alberta and beyond. In 1914 Camrose local education facilities included: a public school, a high school, a normal school and a college.

    The Normal School offered household arts, manual training, nature study and physical culture in their curriculum. These departments were open to the public and high school students to attend. Students attending the Normal School were called 'Normalites"; as was as the basketball team.

    The Normal School opened in 1912, classes being held in the High School and within cottage schools at the rear of the high school. At that same time land was selected for construction. It was completed in 1914 at a cost of over $250,000 and remains today as a piece of our early spectacular architecture.

    Four locally educated students; Halley Henry, Miss Annie Ross, Miss Jessie Ross and Percy Fowler were members of the Camrose debating team who won the Championship of the Alberta High School Debating League. The final debate was against Lethbridge with Miss Jessie Ross and Halley Henry representing the team. Their win prompted an Edmonton Journal article to include 'Camrose has won the championship of the provincial high school debating league and has done so with a young lady as a member of its team, a sign of the times worth paying heed to.'

    An outbreak of scarlet fever in Camrose schools brought new medical inspections to schools and a debate over increased quarantine regulations. The Camrose public school was closed for over 2 weeks in February of 1914 because of the scarlet fever outbreak.

    Camrose Lutheran College continued to be the only Norwegian educational institution in western Canada. In its 3rd year, the College had an enrollment of 100 students, 60 of whom were housed in the College building. Plans at that time were to build separate buildings to house the classrooms, making the original building entirely dormitory. The College was considered a magnet in attracting Scandinavian setters to the Camrose area and making Camrose the 'Norwegian centre of western Canada'. In 1914 the College grounds covered 30 acres.

    In early February Camrose was visited by a "most disastrous fire in its history". Three buildings were destroyed and 4 businesses lost; damage was estimated at $20,000. Fire chief, Henry Hendrickson, thanked private citizens for their timely assistance. "Once it was seen that the buildings were doomed scores of men worked like beavers saving the contents of the 2 stores." Proprietor of the Commercial Café, Mr. Vichy, 'had "a narrow escape, which he will not soon forget. While the upper storey of the building was in flames he was making repeatedly dashed into the interior of the building, carrying out merchandise. On his last exit a portion of the cornice fell from above and Mr. Vichy was struck to the pavement and narrowly escaped being caught by the main portion of the falling debris." Camrose Canadian, February 12, 1914.

    It was further reported that Town Council issued cheques to the fire fighters involved in the amount of $4 each; and that special clothing supplied to them during the fire, due to extreme temperatures that February night, be paid for to the amount of $92.05.

    It was further reported in the Canadian that John McMillan contributed $50 towards a fund to 'provide some tangible evidence for the boys, that their good services were appreciated'.

    Farmers met regularly at Town Hall for U.F.A. meetings, topics included noxious weeds and the 'elevator question'.

    It was reported weekly in the Camrose Canadian those who were registered at the local hotels.

    Thorleif Iversen, manager for the Home to Norway Association, and Enoc Scotvold began organizing an excursion billed as 'the largest and jolliest party of friends and neighbors'. A $10 refundable deposit was all that was needed to reserve. The World's Fair was being held in Christiania, Norway to celebrate the Norwegian Centennial. A large Canadian contingent was expected and arrangements had been made with the Norwegian government to have a battleship meet the Canadian transcontinental ships and escort them into port. In total, 50 Camrose area residents left on a midnight C.P.R. train, bound for the May 17th celebrations.

    Before leaving Camrose the group were guests at a farewell gathering, put on by the Board of Trade at the Canadian Club. There were speeches from past Mayor Layton, George Smith, M.P.P., Camrose Lutheran College president J.R. Lavik and Prof. Odegaard.

    Nroval Baptie, the world's fastest ice skater was in Camrose to demonstrate speed skating. With his partner, Miss Raymond, Baptie also captivated the crowd with 'fancy skating' to the waltzing music furnished by the Camrose orchestra.

    A huge loss was felt by the community with the collapse of the Camrose Curling Rink due to heavy snow on the roof. Damage was estimated at $5,000. Had it happened one hour later, there would have been scores of students on the ice, so it was thought that a disaster was narrowly averted.

    It took only a few short weeks before a new building was planned, housing a six sheet rink. A committee was formed and it was decided to form a joint stock company to be known as Camrose Curlers Limited. They set out to raise the estimated $4,000 they would need.

    A February ski tournament drew a record crowd of nearly 2000 people. L. Maland of Camrose won the tournament; 4 competitors from Camrose were in the top 5.

    Evening cooking classes were postponed so all Normal School students could attend the Ski Tournament dance.

    The Bailey Theatre was backdrop to a large, provincial Masonic banquet that the Ladies Hospital Aid Committee catered, not a small undertaking. They were pleased to have the donations of food, including the chickens, from many local businesses. They earned gross revenue of $152.75. After taking $31.40 expenses off, they were left the sum of $121.35 with which to carry on their aid work.

    In 1914 the municipal hospital was under pressure and unable to cope with the demands of the very large area it supported. Building a new hospital was "under serious review".

    The exhibition grounds provided a large park-like area for residents. Besides the fall fair the grounds were used for trap shooting, baseball and football and horse racing.

    Horse racing was a big summertime attraction. In 1914 a young Duhamel lad was killed in a horse race that took place on main-street during the annual Sport Days.

    The July 30, 1914 Camrose Canadian ran the headline: AUSTRIA-HUNGARY HAS DECLARED WAR ON SERVIA' OTHER EROPEAN NATIONS MAY BE DRAWN INTO BIG CONFLICT.

    August 6: The war in Europe dominates page 1 of the Camrose Canadian including: GREAT BRITAIN DECLARED WAR ON GERMANY LAST TUESDAY EVENING.

    1912 Highlights:

    • Many things continued to play an important role in the lives of 1912 Camrose residents - education, railroads, commercial growth, health, sports, religion, entertainment and politics.
    • In 1912 the partnership of Dr. Smith and Dr. Stuart build the Stewart-Smith building, the beginning of the Smith Clinic.
    • In 1912 a young man by the name of Theo Bailey arrived in town and began an apprenticeship under Mr. Large, who opened the S.E. Large & Co. drug store which operated (in 1912) in a portion of the old Traders Band (located in the approx area of where Lyseng's Studio used to be). Theo eventually opened the Bailey Drug in Camrose in 1947.
    • In 1912 Mr. Rogers had a draying and transfer business that he operated until 1916.
    • In 1912 Mr. Henrickson took over as Fire Chief.
    • Residents were well read on national and international events. There were stories in the Canadian about discontent between England and Germany, and vague rumors of war.
    • The continued growth of Camrose Lutheran College was reported regularly in the 1912 Camrose Canadians. The cornerstone for Camrose Lutheran College "Old Main" had been laid with much celebration on July 1, 2011. The "superstructure" (as it was referred to at the time) was built in the summer and fall of 1912, and was ready for occupancy at the opening of the second academic year of the College, October 21, 1912.
    • The John Russell School opened in January of 1912. Not all of the rooms were required for public school purposes hence an agreement was made with the Provincial Government to accommodate the Normal School students. This arrangement carried on until the Normal school was complete and ready to open.
    • The first classes of the Camrose Normal school commence in October of 1912 in the John Russell School classrooms. A teachers certificate could be obtained by completing a 2 month course; the first class graduating at Christmas. This first class consisted of 16 women and 4 men. Staff consisted of Dr. James Collin Miller, principal; and Miss Donalda Dickie, assistant.
    • Unprecedented growth was due to the favorable position which Camrose enjoyed due to the 3 major railway companies intersecting the city. The 3 major railways CP, CN and GTP continued to be front page of almost every Camrose Canadian edition during 1912, as they pushed further afield, connecting Camrose to more of Canada. The local CN yard expanded, the CP Station was renovated. It was rumored that more railway companies were looking to come to Camrose one being the Hudson's Bay Railway.
    • Owners and managers of major companies visited Camrose because locating businesses in Camrose was favorable. There was ease of transportation and overhead was much less than in Edmonton and Calgary. One businessman to visit Camrose early in 1912 was Benjamin Moore, looking to locate a distributing centre. It is unclear if he actually did.
    • New businesses included a machine shop, a steam laundry plant and a brick plant.
    • The GF&J Galt wholesale groceries was purchased by the Nash Brothers.
    • The Camrose commercial community was flourishing. Businesses were opening, selling, closing and from all accounts money was being made and employment boomed.
    • Fire completely destroyed the Camrose Tannery, an important local industry owned and managed by François Adam. With no insurance, Mr. Adam was unable to pursue another business venture; he had hoped to open a local shoe manufacturing site. A loss of $30,000 resulted from the fire of the Camrose Tannery.
    • A major undertaking in early 1912 was the Camrose Special Car Tour, organized by the Camrose Board of Trade. It was a publicity tour of Ontario and northern United States and required the use of a GTP railway car for the convenience of the members on the excursion. Articles appeared in most of the Canadians for almost ½ a year as they prepared, were gone and then reaped the benefits. The excursion had a board of directors and budget and was very beneficial for the local economy.
    • Several months later came talk about another train touring across the country, the tour called "Made in Canada" train. For several months some reference was made about its impending arrival in Camrose, and when it did arrive, there was great celebration around it.
    • Other municipal news included the continued installation of the water and sewer lines.
    • There was an enormous political upheaval in 1912 regarding paving of commercial downtown, a 3 block area, resulting in several petitions, many front page articles and lengthy editorials. The topic was complicated by a shortage of cement and an inflated cost to communities in Western Canada, which prompted more petitions as citizens felt they were being gouged.
    • Local politicians took beautification of the town seriously with headlines reading "Imperative that Town Should be Made to Look Clean and Tidy" and "Mayor Layton will have Everything Spic and Span Before the First of May".
    • Town Council introduced a single tax system.
    • The opening of the David Theatre continues to connect 1912 to 1912 with incredible influence on the social events. Some of the events in 1912 included a Leap Year Dance and a masked carnival.
    • The Canadian Club continued to play an important social role with many meetings and events.
    • When the Fram Ski Club hosted its first exhibition of ski jumping in early 1912, the day was compared to a Norwegian holiday with almost all citizens attending.
    • Curling continued being a favored pastime, the prize to capture was the Tuxedo Cup.
    • The first organized gymnastics club, reported Feb 15/11 page 5 of the Camrose Canadian.
    • Baseball was a favored sport.
    • A public telephone was installed in the lobby of the Windsor Hotel.
    • Town Council placed a $25 license fee upon motor vehicles that were hired out, which was later struck down as being unfair.
    • There was a huge push for farmers to diversify into mixed farming with front page articles almost every week.
    • Coal production was reported often.
    • Automobiles were becoming popular and there were several car lots opening. It was reported in the Canadian that a group of young people who were driving to a dance in the country got stuck in the mud and were forced to count railway ties all the way home.
    • Horses were a valuable commodity, and for there was for the most part a shortage of them. Arrivals and sales often made the front page.
    • The first local celebration of Norwegian independence was held in June and was considered a huge success with 1200 people in attendance.
    • Oranges and bananas were $.25 / dozen.
    • Men's genuine elk tan waterproof blucher shoes sold for $3.50.
    • In 1912 there were 12 bandsmen in the Citizen's Band with Pete Tronnes conducting.

    1911 Highlights:

    1911 saw staggering commercial, social, cultural growth in Camrose and surrounding communities as western Canadian population grew and expansion of the 3 railway companies made connections.  Camrose was banded the Town that Was Born Lucky; Camrose Canadian headlines included:  “All Roads Lead to Camrose” and “Where Railways Grow Like Weeds”. 

    • By 1911 the construction of the power plant was complete and it started operation in early January.  Cost of construction and equipment was $25,000.  Mr. M.A. Maxwell was appointed the water works engineer and Camrose looked forward to all-night electrical service (CC October 5th, page 1).  The power plant declared modest earnings within 3 months of opening
    • Mayor – Frank P. Layton
    • Board of Trade President – C.G. Corneille
    • Chairman of the School Board – Dr. G.G. Stewart
    • Chairman of the Hospital Board – Dr. Lamb
    • Camrose Lutheran College commences its first school year on October 2nd, with classes held in the two Lutheran churches.  The Heather Brae Hotel serving as dormitory and boarding club.  First president was Rev. J.P. Tandberg. Rev. T.T. Carlson, vice-president of the organizing association and pastor of one of the local churches.  The construction of the cornerstone of a permanent building was laid July 1st with a huge community celebration.  Representation of government and church came from several provinces and from the US; Norwegian vocal entertainer Martha Sandal travelled from the US for the occasion.
    • 1911 saw a large increase in cultivated land in area around Camrose and increase in coal production.  Crops were extremely good that year which prompted the construction of many grain elevators.  A call for 50,000 farm laborers to the west attracts many easterners.  The first market garden was established servicing Camrose
    • Increase in business creates a demand for a larger post office
    • Amateur Minstrel Club formed
    • The April Bachelors Ball was declared the greatest social function of the year
    • By 1911 the town had built the water tower and sank a number of wells to a total of eleven.  Water pipes were laid from the various reservoirs to the water tower and back to the main business and residential areas of town to provide water for fire and household purposes
    • By 1911 the town was growing not only in population but in sophistication as well
    • In 1911 Camrose boasted the presence of Drag. W Jones, who was not only a veterinarian but a dentist as well
    • A.J. Ofrim, a noted blacksmith opened a business with Thomas Fowler opposite from the town hall
    • There were advertisements for Rural Home Machinery and A.J. Thompson became manger of Massey-Harris Co. Ltd.  He also sold democrats, buggies, sewing machines and fanning mills
    • A small Camrose Concrete Co. plant was opened in Camrose for the production of concrete blocks
    • The opening of day of duck hunting is declared a holiday
    • Mr.  & Mrs. William Walkemeyer purchased the Camrose Hotel and renamed it the Heather Brae Hotel
    • The Fram Ski Club was formed.  J.R. Engelbretson was president of the club with such members as Lars Maland, Adolph Maland and Oscar Engelbretson.  One of the first tasks undertaken by the club was the manufacture of a ski jump; starting on this project in early fall.  The 40’ tower was completed on January 5, 1912 ready for its first ski jumping tournament
    • An enclosed arena skating rink was built by Peter Scramstad in 1911.  On each side of the rink was one sheet of ice reserved for curling
    • The first meeting to organize a curling club in Camrose was held November 27 at the Canadian Cub. Patron Frank Pike, Honorable President G.P. Smith, President R.L. Rushton, VP G.E. Measom, Secretary/Treasurer S.J. Boyd
    • Football team formed in Camrose (May 4 CC)
    • GTP passenger service starts June 12th; Canadian Northern in early July
    • The Manning-Sutherland Lumber Company was absorbed by the Beaver Lumber Co. Ltd. With George E. Johnson in charge
    • The firm of Eby and Snyder opened an electrical shop
    • A. Code opened The Cheap Cash Store and offered an inducement to business, free delivery
    • Two clothing stores were operating, The Peoples Store, clothing and shoes was managed by Erickson & Co.  “Amos” Clothing was also in operation.  Longer & Boada were in the shoe repair business
    • Camrose Millinery with Miss. M. Hoyme as proprietress, opened in 1906.  She was in business for almost a quarter of a century in Camrose
    • The plumbing trade became of importance due to the water and sewage lines
    • Palm Cigar Store opened with J.A. McLeod the proprietor
    • Hiram Burgar returned to the hardware business
    • At least 3 bakeries were in business and several pharmacies
    • The Union Café advertised as an alternate eating place to a hotel
    • In February the David Theatre (now the Bailey) opened